Monday, April 30, 2012

H is for Hedge

So let's talk about hedges, in the context of hedgewitchery (if that's a word). The hedge, of the English type, being the border between the cultivated, civilized land, and the forest, the wildwood. And so a metaphor for the Veil, the barrier between this world and the Other, that which is crossed on a journey of a shamanic type.

Except I don't live in England. I live in New England. We don't have hedges like that, old thorny hedgerows planted as living fences, to mark boundaries, keep the sheep in, and provide home for hedgehogs; what we have here are stone walls. Old, tumbled-down, New England fieldstone walls, more than a few of which date to colonial times, though of course it is simple enough to build new ones (and I've built a few myself). They, too, mark the boundary, in many cases, between the cultivated field (or mown lawn) and the woods; and they, too, are a haven for wildlife and wild plants, especially in my yard blackberry brambles.

Three sides of my property are marked by fieldstone walls, dating to who-knows-when; the house itself, a colonial probably circa 1745, has a fieldstone foundation. And six fireplaces, though I don't mean to brag; but it's a lucky, lucky house for a Witch, and I know it.

Old fieldstone walls criss-cross the woods around here, woods that were once fields but have since been reclaimed by forest; driving around, especially in the winter when the leaves are off the trees, one can see the old property lines, the old boundaries now lost, the walls now little more than piles of rocks more or less in a line.

I have not tried, so far, to imagine or See the barrier crossed in a journey as a fieldstone wall. But it is a good metaphor, a local metaphor, one that speaks of this land, this very specific place, this bit of Earth I tend, my home; and so I wonder if I might picture it so. I would think it would be profoundly centering and grounding, and root me here. I shall have to give it a try.

7 comments:

Casey Hamilton said...

"Haga is also the haw- in hawthorn, which is an important tree in northern European pagan religion. There may be several layers of folk etymology here. Confusion or blending with heathenish is suggested by M.E. hæhtis, hægtis "hag, witch, fury, etc.," and haetnesse "goddess," used of Minerva and Diana."

I doubt that I have ever mentioned that I live in the Hawthorne Apartments, the top northeast corner, #711. Yeah, I never thought that felt at all mystically significant or nothin', either....

Hazel said...

Hawthorn is definitely on my list of plants to get for my crooked garden. I was just looking it up last night in fact, wondering what it wants, how big it gets, and where in the yard it might go.

Also, hi Casey!! Lovely to have you here. :)

Casey Hamilton said...

WRT the notion of Wall as barrier, have you ever read Neil Gaiman's Stardust (or seen the movie? Didn't make a huge splash, Netflix has it. One of my few 5-star movies). Wall plays an, umm, pivotal role in keeping the two worlds separated.

Anonymous said...

"Stardust" is brilliant! And delightful and whimsical and you must see it! Oh yes, The Wall. Now that I think about it, there are many fairy and folk tales where other worlds are accessed across or through hedgerows. The "through" ones were always the most magical to me.

Hazel said...

I haven't seen Stardust, and I (somewhat shamefully) haven't read anything of his, which I totally should. I'd kind of been avoiding him, I guess, for some reason, despite the fact that he says hi by the way. :)

Anyone though who uses lines like 'O my beautiful idiot!' is going to be good by me.

I will see about finding it.

Hazel said...

You know thinking about it even Tolkien used it (not like he didn't know about magic, I mean, what with Galadriel scrying and such); to officially leave the Shire, Merry unlocks a door in a tall hedge, and they step through. If I'm remembering correctly. Last name or no, it's been a while since I've read it.

Anonymous said...

That's a great way to localize a concept like hedgecrossing. Being from New England myself, I am extremely familiar with those stone walls in the woods everywhere you go. I had some behind my house growing up. I could definitely see them as being potential gateways.